Any hormone in man’s or woman’s body should be produced in an adequate amount. Too less hormones result in hormone deficiency and too much hormones lead to hormone dominance. Both deficiency and dominance result into health problems. In this article, we are going to cover the dominance of a primary female sex hormone ‘estrogen’. A good number of women are suffering from estrogen dominance.
Symptoms of Estrogen Dominance
Usually, women in their thirties and forties suffer from estrogen dominance. Both the body and brain are stimulated due to estrogen dominance. This causes the symptoms illustrated of the following table:
|Lack of sex drive||Fibrocystic breasts|
|Bloating (water retention)||Hair loss|
|Irregular or abnormal menstrual periods||Headache especially pre-menstrual headache|
|Breast swelling and tenderness||Depression, irritability and mood swing problems|
|Cold feet and hands||Weight and/or fat gain around hips and abdomen|
|Memory loss and foggy thinking||Thyroid dysfunction|
|(PMS) Premenstrual symptoms||Trouble in sleeping/insomnia|
Apart from the above symptoms, estrogen dominance is also linked to other health issues including breast cancer, infertility, ovarian cysts, allergies, uterine cancer, autoimmune disorder and increased blood clotting. Estrogen dominance also accelerates aging. However, some other conditions also show the same symptoms. Therefore, you should visit saliva testing labs for the diagnosis of estrogen dominance.
Causes of Estrogen Dominance
During a normal menstrual cycle, estrogen dominates for a fortnight leading up to ovulation. Progesterone during the last fortnight balances estrogen. Following are the symptoms estrogen dominance:
- Stress results into overproduction of cortisol, norepinephrine and insulin. This can cause adrenal exhaustion. This can also disturb the overall hormone balance.
- Impaired immune function
- Environmental agents
- Eating low fiber diet with high refined carbohydrates can cause estrogen dominance. High quality fat and diet with low nutrients can also be a cause of estrogen dominance.
How to control estrogen dominance
- Switch to a diet with high potency mineral/multivitamin combination.
- Switch to a hormone balancing diet consisting of adequate protein, lots of vegetables and fruits, and healthy fat.
- Get enough fiber.
- Exercise regularly and burn the extra body fat.
- Avoid drugs, alcohol and caffeine to detoxify your liver.
- Reduce stress
Reducing stress and eating a healthy diet can help in controlling excess estrogen in the body. If you feel that something is wrong with your menstrual cycle, take it seriously and visit one of the saliva testing labs for diagnosis.