Being an essential part of our small bowel, bacteria perform various important functions. However, bacterial overgrowth in small bowel can cause several symptoms such as leaky guts. The small bowel connects large bowel and the stomach. The length of normal small bowel is 20 feet long. The number of bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract varies. However, it is present throughout the tract.
The number of bacteria living in the small bowel is way less than the number of bacteria in the colon or large bowel. And, bacteria present in the colon are completely different from the bacteria living in the small bowel.
Bacteria in small bowel provide protection from ingested yeast and bad bacteria. The bacteria help in absorbing nutrients and also produce vitamin K, folate and a few more important nutrients. The bacteria also help in normal small bowel muscle activity. The movement of intestinal content depends on the small bowel bacteria. However, overgrowth of the bacteria is not good for the health of the small bowel.
Small Intestinal Bowel Overgrowth (SIBO)
SIBO Breath Test helps in diagnosing Small Intestinal Bowel Overgrowth. In this condition, the number of bacteria in the small bowel is increased. Apart from this, the type of bacteria might or might not be changed. In most of the cases, this condition is caused due to overgrowth of different types of bacteria. These bacteria are usually found in the colon. SIBO due to overgrowth of small bowel’s normal bacteria is less common.
Damage Caused by SIBO
- SIBO affects the function and structure of the small bowel.
- It damages the small bowel cell lining which affects the digestion and also the absorption of essential nutrients.
- Damage to cell lining causes leaky gut.
- Large molecules due to leaky guts enter the bloodstream and cause complications like autoimmune disease, food allergies or sensitivities, generalized inflammation and other immune reactions.
Common Symptoms of SIBO
If you experience one or more than one of the following symptoms then you should visit a doctor for SIBO Breath Test.
- Abdominal discomfort/pain
- Bloating and abdominal distention
- Belching and gas
- Weight loss
- Symptoms of vitamin deficiencies
SIBO Risk Factors
SIBO Breath Test helps in diagnosing SIBO. The risk factors of SIBO include:
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Crohn’s disease
- Celiac disease
- Diabetes mellitus
- Prior bowel surgery
- Multiple courses of antibiotics
- Organ system dysfunction
SIBO breath test on time helps in controlling and treating small intestinal bowel overgrowth. Therefore,