Many doctors send their patients to a saliva hormone testing lab for saliva hormone testing. The objective of this test is to measure hormonal balance. Blood serum testing is another method for measuring this hormonal. However, saliva testing is more reliable.
Why Is Saliva Testing More Reliable Than Blood Serum Testing?
The passive diffusion of steroids in saliva is rapid. Therefore, it becomes easier to measure the bio-available progesterone level. On the other hand, only a fraction of steroids is bio-available in blood plasma serum.
It is found that more than 95% of steroids are bound to cortisol binding globulin (CBG), sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), albumin and some other binding proteins. Only a small fraction of steroids is a free fraction (not bound by binding proteins). The bio available fraction or free fraction present in blood enters the salivary gland. This makes saliva hormone testing more reliable.
What Are The Advantages Of Saliva Hormone Testing?
- This testing is stress-free.
- This is non-invasive testing (no needle is used).
- Hormones are stable in saliva. And, this stability is prolonged at room temperature.
- Saliva hormone testing is more reliable than blood serum testing due to the level of bio available steroid hormone.
- The total overall cost is reduced. This saves the money of the patient, medical professional and the insurance carrier.
Is There Any Disadvantage Of Saliva Hormone Testing?
- This testing is technically more challenging as compared to serum testing. Saliva hormone testing needs 10-20x sensitivity.
- There is a limited number of saliva hormone testing labs in the nation.
- Less number of medical professionals are expert in saliva hormone testing.
- Topical hormones on hands and lips can contaminate the saliva.
Ideal Saliva Hormone Test Report
A saliva testing report by a reputed saliva hormone testing lab not only contains the level of hormones. Hormonal imbalance causes some symptoms. These symptoms also should be there in the report. The report contains some other information including:
Menstrual cycle information
If ovaries of the women are removed or not
Types of hormones used and delivery system
Phase of menstrual cycle
Results can be misleading if the information in the report is not complete. Therefore, the report must be complete and accurate. As there are less medical professionals having expertise in saliva hormone testing, you will find it hard to find a saliva hormone testing lab. However, you can use the internet to find the nearest saliva hormone testing lab.