The determination of the Melatonin level in saliva is a laboratory analysis that is prescribed to identify diseases that result from a lack or excess of a hormone. Diagnostics allows timely detection of a breakdown in the synthesis of melatonin and prevents the appearance of severe pathology, such as mental illness, oncology, and changes in the normal duration of sleep.
Description of the study
Melatonin is a sleep hormone that is synthesized by the pituitary gland (pineal gland) and can be determined by analyzing melatonin level in saliva. He is responsible for maintaining normal biorhythms in the body, normalizes blood pressure, regulates the endocrine system, and slows down the aging process.
The formation of melatonin gets increases at night and decreases during the daylight hours. If there is a disturbance of a night’s sleep, the synthesis of the hormone slows down, which leads to chronic fatigue, a decrease in immunity, and the development of malignant tumors.
Process of Melatonin Saliva Test
The Melatonin Saliva Test is done by liquid chromatography method that catches the lowest amount of a hormone in a biological fluid.
- Saliva is collected in a sterile container or laboratory tube without using a tampon.
- After collection, the biomaterial is delivered to the laboratory.
- At a temperature above +20 degrees, saliva can be stored for no more than 3 hours; freezing at -20 degrees allows storing biomaterial for a long time during 25-30 days.
- The container or test tube is wrapped with foil to prevent the damaging effect on melatonin in the saliva of ultraviolet radiation.
- For analysis it is enough to collect 1 ml of biomaterial. Diagnosis is performed on an empty stomach.
- Before collecting saliva you should not eat, drink water, use chewing gum, brush your teeth. If the rules of preparation are violated, it is allowed to thoroughly rinse the oral cavity with warm water before analysis for 5 minutes.
Indications for the study and its results
To increase the efficiency of laboratory analysis, the collection of saliva is carried out at different times of the day. The change in the concentration of melatonin at night, in the afternoon, in the morning and in the evening indicates a correct course of biorhythms or a violation of functional systems controlled by the epiphysis.
Indication for the survey:
- mental illness with seasonal exacerbation;
- propensity to depression;
- disturbance of sleep and wakefulness;
- pathology of the menstrual cycle;
- multiple sclerosis;
- violation of sexual behavior;
- cardiac ischemia;
- Diseases of the endocrine system.
Normal parameters of melatonin correspond to 40-100 pg / ml at night (2-3 hours), 8-25 pg / ml in the morning (6-10 hours), less than 5 pg / ml in the afternoon, 8-35 pg / ml in the evening (22-24 hours) . The most important for diagnosis is the night concentration of the hormone in the saliva.
Get All Diagnostic Services at BioHealth Laboratory!
We offer fully tested comprehensive clinical services for any complex chronic diseases. Our basic aim is to provide accurate and timely lab results to our patient. Based in California, we offer our services to a large scale. We have a team of lab specialists who are always ready to give you the best service possible.